Every child naturally loves sweets and chocolates, but parents need to be aware that a regular intake of these negatively affects enamel health. This is why we have listed down 8 ways through which you can ensure your child learns how to take better care of his or her teeth this summer.
- It’s always best to start early: Every parent is well aware that a child’s first visit to the dentist must take place before their first birthday, but very few are aware of the fact that before the teeth begin emerging, its important that the child learns the concept of brushing so they become familiar with ways to take care of their teeth. With babies, parents can wipe the gums using a clean cloth or gauze pad to remove food particles, milk or juice.
- Try to make it a fun habit: make sure that you make the habit of learning how to brush your teeth a fun practice. Allow the child to select a toothbrush of their own choice, and while brushing you may turn up the music so your child can become familiar with the practice easily.
- Remember to make them sit down while brushing: its difficult to make a child stand still in a spot for a long time, especially for two whole minutes which is the time dentists recommend for proper brushing. Instead, have them sit down on a coach or the bed while they brush, which will isolate most of their movement and finish the task quickly.
- Add some fruity flavor: make sure you are not making your child use a toothpaste with strong, minty flavors as the taste is appalling for them. Pick out a toothpaste with a smoother flavor which will encourage them to brush rather than be scared of a bad flavor.
- Start using floss: as soon as the tiny teeth start appearing, its time your child becomes familiar with the concept of flossing. Through brushing, flossing and using fluoride rinses daily can you ensure your child’s teeth remain strong and healthy.
- Ensure your child has a healthy diet: brushing your teeth daily is not the only way to ensure their teeth remain strong and healthy. Proper nutrition is also important to maintain healthy bones and teeth, so make sure your child indulges in fruits and vegetables when it comes to healthy snacks and stays away from junk food such as cakes, candy, potato chips etc. This also helps keep the teeth white through adulthood.
- Brush your teeth as a family: to ingrain the habit in your child, brush your teeth with your child daily so reinforce the importance of such a habit. Moreover, joining your child on the sink ensures you can keep a check for dental issues such as mouth bleeding, swelling or tooth discolorations before they get too serious.
- Prevent intake of milk and juice before bed: According to most dentists, its important that the child stays away from milk and natural juices before bedtime as they consist of sugars which settle on the teeth and cause decay.
What other habits does your family use to make brushing fun and part of your kids daily habit? When was the last time you had your routine dentist visit down here in Homestead FL? Call us or contact us today to setup your next appointment for you and your kids.